The Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (“CEDR”) has published its 6th Mediation Audit surveying the views of mediators and the effectiveness of the mediation process.
The CEDR survey reveals that the number of civil and commercial mediations have risen to an estimated 9,500 per year, an increase of around 9% since the last survey in 2012.
The statistics also suggest that over 75% of cases are settled on the day of the mediation with a further 11% settling shortly thereafter. A total of around 86% of cases are therefore successfully concluded using the mediation process.
Increased competition in the market has also led to a decrease in mediator’s fees with average fees for mediators who described themselves as ‘less experienced’ falling by 6.3% from 2012 and for ‘more experienced’ mediators by 10.7% from 2012.
The statistics reflect the increased utilisation of the mediation process which has been encouraged by the Courts. The high success rate demonstrates the effectiveness of mediation as a vehicle for parties to resolve their disputes at all stages of the litigation process.
For more information on mediation and how it may be of benefit to you please contact the partner at Hunters having responsibility for your legal matters, or (for new enquiries) please contact a member of the Dispute Resolution Team.