Jonathan has been a partner in the Private Client department of Hunters since 1997.
He advises a broad range of private clients (including individuals, trustees, charities, family estates, private banks and “family offices”), specialising in trust, estate and tax law, on the preservation, management, enhancement and devolution of their capital wealth. He particularly enjoys regular professional contact with his clients, their families and trustees, and working along side professionals of other disciplines – agents, accountants, investment managers and independent financial advisers.
Jonathan is a trustee of a number of significant family trusts and estates and is a member of the Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners and the Agricultural Law Association.
He is also a member of “Solicitors for the Elderly”, a national association of Solicitors concerned with improving the availability and quality of delivery of legal services to older people. He has lectured widely.
Jonathan is noted as a prominent figure in the CityWealth Leaders List 2015.
Jonathan is recommended in the Agriculture and Estates and Personal Tax, Trusts and Probate sections of The Legal 500 2015 and in the Agriculture and Rural Affairs sections of Chambers 2016.
Jonathan is listed as a Leading Individual in Personal tax, Trusts and Probate section of The Legal 500 2016, and is recognised for his “extensive knowledge of trusts and probate.” He is also recommended as “excellent” in the Agriculture and Estates section.
Jonathan is listed as a Leader in his Field in the Agriculture and Rural Affairs section of Chambers 2016, described as having “brilliant technical knowledge”.
Jonathan is highlighted in the Agriculture & Rural Affairs section of Chambers 2017, with sources commenting “he’s a thoroughly decent chap” and praise him for being “efficient and knowledgeable.”
Jonathan is recognised as a Leading Individual in the Personal tax, Trusts and Probate section of The Legal 500 2017, listed as “an experienced professional who has built up a good relationship with clients and other professionals” and is “highly regarded”. He is also recommended in the Agricultural and Estates section.
- “brilliant technical knowledge”
- “Jonathan Godwin-Austen is calm, effective and swift”
Legal 500 2013
- Jonathan Godwin-Austen is ‘an experienced professional who has built up a good relationship with clients and other professionals. He is highly regarded and has a good grasp of US/UK tax issues’.
The Legal 500 UK 2017
- “Extensive knowledge of trusts and probate”
Legal 500 2016
- ” Jonathan is gifted technically, and has the ability to explain detail in perfect terms so that everyone can fully understand.”
Citywealth Leaders List 2016
- “The service is first class in every way”
Legal 500 2015
- “Jonathan is “very attuned to rural ways. He may be based in the middle of London but definitely understands the rural landscape”
- “He’s a thoroughly decent chap.”
Legal 500 2012
Legal 500 2016
- “Safe pair of hands”
Legal 500 2015
- “Efficient and knowledgeable.”